Fantasy Baseball Position Eligibility
Position eligibility in ESPN Fantasy Baseball is based on playing time during the previous season. A batter must have played 20 games in that position.
ESPN determines the primary position of every major league player available in the fantasy game at the start of the season. The most recent season of the player, where he played at least one match, is taken into consideration to determine the initial position.
The position eligibility a player begins with is fixed throughout the season and can not be changed. However, additional eligibility can be added based on certain criteria.
In the case of athletes with no prior experience in the major league, the primary position is determined based on their expected major league position and minor league position. Such players can only be eligible for one position.
Here are the required number of games to be eligible for a position:
- Played at least twenty games in that position during the previous season. If played less than 20 games throughout the season, must play at least 25 percent of the games in that position.
- Played at least ten games at a position during the ongoing season. The eligibility is available as soon as the player plays ten matches.
Starting Pitcher eligibility
- Three games played as an SP in the ongoing season.
- Five games played as an SP last season.
Relief Pitcher eligibility
- Five games appeared as a reliever in the ongoing season.
- Eight games played as a relief pitcher the previous season.
Note: In leagues that use specific outfield positions, such as Left Fielder (LF), Right Fielder (RF), and Center Fielder (CF), the player must have ten appearances at that position to be eligible. For example, if a player has appeared in six games at LF, seven at CF, and thirteen at RF, he is eligible for only the RF position.
Further, if the league uses a standard position, i.e. Outfielder (OF), the number of appearances is added. For example, if a player has three appearances at RF, three at CF, and four at LF, he is eligible for the OF position as he has ten combined appearances in the three outfield positions.